Sunday, May 04, 2008

4 years later...

The only thing that was missing was music. Trying to relate lyrics to what the eyes were feasting upon. But the wind sang. The wind sang the melancholy, and the happiness, oscillating, perfect for the situation. And the eyes took in every detail, like this time, this very last time, they wanted to make an imprint in the mind. The kind of imprint that time cant steal for itself...the kind that wouldn't fade until memory has a chance to refresh itself...

So the pair of them stared into the open. At the kids playing cricket, at the small lane of concrete road that I always wanted to walk through. The lane with huts on either side. At the trees that adorned themselves with tendrils. Yes, of course, it is May. There should be tendrils. At the sun, playing hide and seek with the eyes. Hiding successfully behind buildings, unsuccessfully behind trees. Blinding the eyes. At rows and rows of white buildings. At the mini-lake, that always looked so full of reflections, of trees, of bill-boards, of clouds. At the bus, standing a little too close in the traffic. So close, that i could hear her telling me to come out of my trance and push my hair behind my ears, like she always did. Always, when my hair was on my face. At the way the buses parted ways, as if to signify a deeper 'parting of ways'. At the mango tree, so full of mangoes hanging from every branch. I'd have loved to jump out n pluck a few. I could see myself doing it, but just inside my head. At the bridge, and the red-brick house from the bridge. The red-brick house of happy memories. At the smoke all over the place, almost making it seem like the red-brick house was floating in the heavens, as if it were not enough that it was indeed heaven on earth. At Chennai's smoothest road, and the endless string of restaurants lining it on either side, none of which I have ever visited. At the marsh, when there was a breakdown, when she hilariously imitated the way i sleep, inviting undying laughter. Yes, it was always something they laughed about. At the beautifully canopied road, where i always wanted to take a long walk with someone whose company i enjoyed. At the crowd outside the theatre, and the chips shop that always made my stomach growl...endless...

My last bus-ride home. From a college i spent 4 years in. Hard to believe! The things that i'm going to miss really haven't seeped through fully...they kind of did, when i sat on the verandah with my book open, doing everything but study. Chatting away to glory about the latest movies, class gossip, the extent of yuckiness of the subject, about lip balm and haircuts, dirty shoes and un-ironed dupattas, about marriage, and life as such. It did seep into me, that i was going to miss such talks and so much fun, so much laughter. Hell, we'll deal with it later :)

"4 years later..."ly
Signing off...

16 comments:

Vinod Ramamoorthy said...

"woh the suhane din apne" ... u can start singing this soon .. Hope u dont have to read this post for remembering ur frnds frm coll .. those good old days ..

Anonymous said...

Congratulations

Div said...

Vinod - I hope so too...

Anish - thank you

Anonymous said...

I never thought of a bus as a woman..not that I ever thought of personifying it, but still. and, maybe after a few years you should go back and do all the things you wanted to... and who irons dupattas?

Div said...

suk - hell :( the bus din tell me anything! It was the girl int he bus who told me to do that!! Lol... din think my sentence correction sucked so bad ;) Maybe i shud do all that...

who irons duppattas? My friends! Not me...!

Anonymous said...

lol,it was the first time you mentioned a she after mentioning the bus so I assumed it was the bus!and the girl actually told you that? and lol, ok.

Div said...

suk - Yep she did. My classmate sitting in the other bus! poruma? :D

Shruti said...

The way you wrote this one reminded me a lot of God Of Small Things - Have you read that book? :)
And hey - This... thing.. will happen all through your life :) I guess we just need to feel glad that it will be Nostalgia and not relief :)

Anonymous said...

he he okok. I was wondering why some random person sitting in a bus will ask you to put your hair back :P

Div said...

shruti - Long time! Welcome back ;)I think i should take that as a huge compliment! I love the book! And that is true...it'll be nostalgia... bittersweet orange juice!

suk - Oh hell. I've been really really abstract!

Anonymous said...

yeah that or holidays are just making me dumber and dumber

Div said...

suk - sure :P IIT classes must definitely make people dumber!

Anonymous said...

yeah they lower your morale you see so that's why

Div said...

suk - smart! u're gettint there ;)

Anonymous said...

Dealing with life after college is going to be the toughest part perhaps.. That was a real melancholic post! well written

Div said...

sementi - yeah, am sure its goin to be difficult! more so cuz you're in hostel... n thanks!