- I'd like to call it the season of the gulmohar...
- I'd like to call it the season when peepal trees seem to be on fire...red leaves...and the same red leaves miraculously turn green overnight...and leave you yearning to see the red ones again!
- I'd like to call it the watermelon and mango season...when you eat with so much love that you don't realise the watermelon/mango juice has found its way down the length of your arm, touched your elbow, and fallen to the ground...while the vicinity of your mouth remains essentially sticky, and watery! and your fingers too!
- I'd like to call it the season when tendrils appear on trees that i didn't bother noticing at any other time of the year...passing it off as 'just another tree'.
- I'd like to call it the time of the when 'yelaneer'(tender coconut water) seems like the elixir of life!
- I'd like to call it the season when there's a reason to use hill-stations as retreat...
SUMMER...in chennai.Sounds beautiful right? All close to nature, and so poetic, and so healthy with all the fruits and yelaneer and all...but...but...here's what i end up calling it...
- The season of spine-wrecking HEAT!
- The season when you don't know how you lose all the water that you drink!
- The season when anything you wear, sticks to you...and that kind of sticking can give the fevicol guys a run for their money!
- The season when air-conditioners are synonymous with - paradise, life, and my fave - HEAVEN!
- The season when you realise how much of a 'stink' you can become!
- My thatha's fave - the season when you can 'puzhunjufy' (squeez) the sweat out of your banniyan (vest)!
- The season when I (ME....of all people in the world...) am awakened by the first rays of dawn filtering through my curtains (actually, largely by the heat they radiate)! Me...who fails to wake up to the sound of 2 alarms...grandmom's shouts...and cousin's too.;-)
- My fave - the season of 'sweet-summer-sweat' (if The Eagles ever find out i've been misusing their lyrics so much, aah!)
- And the last...the season of TANS - and zebra feet :D And for evidence.... the pic below ;-)
Feel free to add on to the list dear readers!
i do prefer this anyday to the 'floods' we had...terrible thing that...
yours "doesn't the sun ever get tired of being "hot" and generating sweat?"ly