Saturday, June 14, 2008

P-i-e-r-c-e-d

This blog has witnessed a myriad of descriptions of the the people we call Maamis, over here in Iyer land - The matchmakers, the grapevine controllers, and participants, the pattu-podavai-gold-jewellery fancying women, the "oru paatu paadu ma, kathukara illaiyo?" dialogue throwers,and the likes! With this post, I bring in one more aspect, and one that has been overlooked till date, but not purposely. The Mookuthi (Mooku kuthi,Nose-stud). They come in different sizes - sizes directly proportional, usually, to the age of the person on whose nose the jewel sits - and shapes, but always having to do with the 'round' shape, and never anything longish, or more importantly, never a ring, for apparently, a ring removes all 'decency' from the woman's face! But this unwritten rule, exists only in South india. Amazing, how all (or almost all) South Indian women share that opinion. In the North, on the other hand, the ring is fancied quite a bit, and if not the whole ring, atleast half of it is! Of course, younger generations just find the ring more 'hep' and stylish, so we're seeing more of it here too! Now that we're at differences, I might as well mention that South Indian women prefer their piercing to be on the right hand side of their nose, whereas north indian women, prefer the left. Whew!

Coming to the point - I got my nose pierced. I am now more a maami than i ever was! Why, you ask? Because, I not only love gossip and have quite commendable knowledge when it comes to Pattu podavais, and other podavais too, not only because I'm liking carnatic music more, and finding myself increasingly at ease having my hair in a kondai (Bun), not only because I'm able to have lively conversations with different paatis, and realised recently that I'm not bad at imitating people/speaking like others, but ALSO because, now, when I look at my face in the mirror (probably with a pottu on my forehead), i DO look very maami-ish! VERY. You have no idea!

I walked quite confidently into a small, stuffy room on the top most floor of a huge jewellery store, after very strongly dismissing my mother's suggestion of getting a diamond nose stud. The whole piercing experience was quite a pain, though I'm sure it couldn't have lasted more than 15-20 seconds. Seemed like an era of pain (despite the hideous red-coloured numbing cream, which evidently did NOT work!), like I could visualise the entire length of the gold penetrating every layer of my skin picometre by picometre! I couldn't scream obviously, or push away the pierce-r's hand either, for the love of the rest of my nose! So the silence proudly showed itself off as fat drops of tears at the edge of my right eye! And when i looked into the mirror, I was looking more at my eye than my nose :)The pain eventually did die down, within 5 minutes actually, and we continued commenting on random jewellery like the whole instance hadn't happened at all!

The past few days have been a series of mixed comments -
You look older.
You look like a villager.
You look outlandish.
*Says hi casually* *Notices something is different* *Opens mouth and eyes wide* *Silence* *Snaps back to so-wats-up?*
You look weird.
Your face has lost its Innocence!
And occassionally, You look nice! / You look cute / It suits you!
But the one's i'll put on the "made me laugh the most" list were -
Amma's comment - Maarvaadi madri iruke di ippo! (you look like a maarvaadi!)
Paati's comment - (after staring at it for a whole minute probably!)Romba nalla irukku ma! Ponnu kuthindadhu laam nyabagam eh illai, pethiya paathaa sandhoshama irukku (Its very nice, I don't remember the times my daughters got their noses pierced, but i'm happy that my grand daughter's got it done!).

I wouldn't want to forget this episode. It has been recorded! :)

Now, to an equally important part of the post... This post, I dedicate, to Mr. Nikhil Harikrishnan. Because
1) It's part of my punishment for missing the deadline (for my picture to reach his inbox) and sending the picture (by mistake!) to some random fellow who will probably now send me a thousand 'Franship' requests.
2) He has been one of the oldest and more vocal supporters of the campaign to get my piercing.

Credits for the above - An email sent to me by the aforementioned gentleman ;)

3) He asked for it!!!! :D



But more importantly, because i didn't see why i shouldn't! And, he said i look cute with the piercing! ;) Of course one can never be too sure if he just made that up :D

Nik, I'm well into the 48 hour deadline to put this up! I couldn't imagine what punishment i would get if this TOO was late ;)you better comment!

Yours "as my worthy friend seshan here said, 3 holes in my nose..."ly
Signing off....

36 comments:

Nikhil said...

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo !!

Nikhil said...

Ok, that was because no one's ever dedicated a post to me before!

So, thank you, Divs! :)


Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo !!

Nikhil said...

Ok, first impressions :

Your piercing story is REMArkably similar to the story someone else told me.
Especially the silence but only tears part.
And the big jewelery store.
And the no diamond stud part.
And the no ring part.
(but that person has it on the left. Probably because that person is brain damaged)

But yours is soooooooooo much better.

And I now have a whole post dedicated to me.


Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo !!

Nikhil said...

And stop calling yourself 'maami', idiot.

And you used a portion of my email in your post.
I WANT CREDIT.

C R E D I T

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooo !!

Div said...

nik - woooooooooooooooooo!!! :) Lol... you're welcome! :D I think u totally earned it ;) U have indeed been quite a supporter to this campaign! :)

So many similarities? Does this happen to every girl then? I noticed the left-hand-side piercing in the pics u'd sent! LOL abt the brain damage!

The post IS dedicated to u! :D

Div said...

Credit? U shall have it!! right away...!!

Nikhil said...

And of course you look cute with the piercing, Divs. Why would I make that up ?? It is O B V I O U S.
You gonna beat off a whole lotta Aussie boys, girl ;-) ;-)

And yes, you've made the deadline.
Good girl.
*pat on the back*
AND you posted it to the right blog.
;-)

Anyway, I gotta shout once more :

Woooooooooooooooooooooooo !!

Nikhil said...

So many similarities? Does this happen to every girl then? I noticed the left-hand-side piercing in the pics u'd sent!

Does this happen to every girl?
I don't know. I don't know very many girls.
I is shy.

Even if I knew lots of girls, I don't know many with mookuthis.

Even if I knew lots of girls with mookuthis, I don't know many of them well enough for them to recount their piercing experience for me.

Yes, I is shy boy.


AND you still have those pictures?
OMG, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA ROFL
Because I don't.

OMG, just thinking of Niles and that day.. LMAO

Div said...

Nik, i gave you your credit too!! :)

I dont know why i keep calling myself maami! Maybe cuz it scares my bro ;)

i DID post it on the right blog, didn't i? Lol... and thanks, for reassuring me that u didn't make that up ;)

And for your sake... WOoooooooooooooo hoooooooooo!

Div said...

Nik - U made your point ;) You is shy! Lol... liked your saying 'mookuthis'! :)

You dont have those pics? Whoa!

Nil was very funny! Couldn't stop laughing at his line son your blog post!

Div said...

Its been AGES since commments touched 10 on this blog within 10 mins of putting up a post!! Thanks nik ;)

Nikhil said...

You are welcome, Divsieeeee !! :)

Div said...

Hehe...! :)

Anonymous said...

You seem to like calling yourself a 'maami' and take immense pride in it too.. surprising! :)
Me and mom had an argument on which nose to pierce. Mom gave me the same maarvadi dialogue when said I'd pierce on my left. Finally i decided not to get one done at all..

Anonymous said...

@divs...
nikhil must have been drunk when he said that... god!

Anonymous said...

@divs... don keep dreaming that that guy will send u 1000 requests n all... may be he cudnt sleep for a couple of days after seeing that!!!

Maximum Inc. said...

Chanced on this blog!!! Nice style of writing :)

I find it surprising that women still do stuff like this...if it was voluntary n not forced I mean. I thought the practice was dying down with time,

Whats the big deal anyway...Mustve hurt mighty crazy

Div said...

viswa - i did not write the 1000 resuests part! It was a part of nikhil's mail which i just put up here ;) Bulb po!

Div said...

sementi - I think we're all becoming maamis someday! So no big deal accepting the fact that we're in the 'becoming' ;)

Nik, U were just called DRUNK by someone! arent u going to retort??

viswa - some truths are just hard to accept :P

Div said...

deepak - Welcome aboard :) Thanks, for your comment ;)

It did hurt alot, but we're still crazy enough to do things like this just for the heck of it ;) you can probably just sigh and say "girls!" :)

Maximum Inc. said...

Well , then you probably will be the gen-next English speaking,Maami that u so badly want to be :D But remember that most Mamis had both their nostrils done, n so u'll probably never be one :P- Jus kiddin

I am happy tht I am a guy and hence dont have these painful and mutilatory desires .......nice post. Keep em comin. Will add you on my page

Div said...

deepak - Looks like i have indeed given the impression that i DO want to be the gen-next maami! Maybe that's because i just know i'm going to end up that way ;)

Its the paatis who have both sides done... the next generation, its just one :D I'm planning to stick to one!

Well, i think guys, some guys, DO have such desires these days! How many have their ears pierced, and their eyebrows pierces and the likes? ;)U're just not on that list...:) Do keep visiting!

Maximum Inc. said...

That I am awake at 330 AM in a diametrically-opposite-to-you part of the world, winding up my day(??) reading blogs should give you a good enough idea about how vetti grad life is...

Good for you dear, as long as u like it....but this whole painful episode shd have given you something to think about should you in future want to get any further piercing(s)...

disorientedoutoffocus.blogspot.com

PS Thats exactly what I am. Terribly confused soul. 2 yrs at work and a Masters degree later, at 25 I still havent figured out what I want in life

Nikhil said...

Calling me 'Drunk' is a compliment :-)

But maybe, in this context, it was an insult aimed at Divs.

But Divs, don't worry. I meant it, ok?

Haha! :-D

Div said...

deepak - will check out your blog :)I'm not interested in anymore piercing ;) Quarter crisis huh? we're all almost always confused!

Nik - U meant it na? Yayy! Of course it was insult aimed at me! My cousin takes great pleasure in passing damaging comments ;)

Div said...

deepak - I meant, quarter life crisis...

Maximum Inc. said...

26 responses?? woww ...people these days seem to extremely jobless... :)

Div said...

deepak - turst me, its been really long since my blog saw so many comments!

Vinod Ramamoorthy said...

still waiting on the close up pics !

Div said...

vinod - adha vida close up ah? then mooku mattum daan theriyum! Lol...

Anonymous said...

3 holes in nose aa? :P

what was nikhil said about credit to be given when due and stuff? :P

Div said...

tsb - aah :) I thot that could remain our li'l secret ;) But now that u ask for it, the credit shall be duly bestowed upon u!

Anonymous said...

a secret you say? i didnt know :p

Div said...

tsb - its ok :)

Anonymous said...

LOL!! Reminds me of my friend's brother. Her mom wanted the both of them to learn Bharatanatyam, and our young fellow picked up some effeminate traits along the way. He once asked to have his ears and nose pierced in his 7th standard...and you wont believe wat happened next. Thats when they thought enough was enough

Gayatri Raghavan said...

This is such a nice blog, and this piece was indeed the best :-). I loved the way you said how you posted it to the wrong guy and were expecting those unsolicited 'franship' requests . :D

I got my right done some 2 yrs ago. At first, I was shy of showing it off, but now I think it's the cutest and the girliest thing I have done . How about you? Is it on the right or the left.

Keep blogging! I'll be a regular visitor