Friday, June 20, 2008

Peters and Non-peters

We witness dwindling symbols of 'culture' and 'tradition' in today's Chennai. I'm a part of it. And so are most of the girls I know. Don't get me wrong, I'm not talking about anything big, or anything of great consequence or damage to our saastrams and sampradayams! A few observations, amusing ones, drive me to write this post.

How many times have you walked down a street and seen a foreigner, in very indian clothes, smile at poo-kaairs (flower girls/women) and kariga kaarans (Vegetable sellers), who return a knowing smile? Hell, even if I saw them everyday, they probably wouldn't smile at me, in all my Indian-ness and Chennai-ness! I believe that foreigners are way more polite than we indians are. But would I get the same treatment if I were as polite? No. And why? This woman, this (as the pookaris and kariga karans might put it) Vellaikaari, took to those 'articles' of 'culture' and 'tradition' that tamizh-penns these days seem to have shed blissfully :) And what might those be, you ask? First, the round red (or whatever colour!) mark on the forehead. The Pottu. Trying to coax us 'learned' tamizh girls into getting back to the pottu mode, dear paatis and ammas and maamis told us how that particular point on the forehead has a divine connection to the pineal gland, and thus, how we must not refrain from 'the act'. But what did we say? We said, we could just touch the particular point once a day, if it were so significant, and forget about walking around with a pottu. They obviously gave up on us, and our reasoning, probably with a "indha kaalathu ponngal laam yenga namba sonna pechu ketkardhugal?" line! We laughed it off!

Second, maligapoo. Jasmine flowers. Even today, thousands of tamizh women adorn their hair with neatly tied up maligapoo every evening, and thousands of pookaris are still in business, selling moonu mozham pathu rooba (It would be weird to translate that!), or actually, less than moonu mozham these days! The flowers that I loved pinning up to my tightly plaited, coconut-oil-oiled hair when I was younger, and less 'learned', now touch my hair only during kalyanams, or festivals, or poojas (despite the fact that i DO know that some guys STILL fancy the smell!), and that too, ten times smaller in size, and for a much shorter time period! In a few minutes, I'd be answering the question "thalaila poo vechukaleya di?" with "yengayo vizhundhurthu, vidungo parava illai!". Gone are the days when I'd wake up to crunchy, brown, dried flowers on my bed, with half-white fading, dying, flowers revealing a white string, pinned up across the back of my head, one plait to the other! I was very Kenyan-tamizh then! ;) Coming back to India, changed it all :) But of course, we always have enough things to blame!

Third. Golusu. Anklets. As a child, i wore these extrememely heavy, ridiculously noisy silver ankelts, loaded with a million small chalangu (the collisions of which cause the sound to emanate), which i would carefully take off before playing hide and seek, for the fear of being given away by the oh-so-tinky noise! I loved them depsite the fact that they scratched me more than i'd have liked! I still remember the jeweller asking me if i was learning Bharathnatyam! I wasn't. I still bought them! I don't know when i finally stopped wearing them, and when i took to buying beaded, noiseless, SINGLE 'anklets' (and NOT golusu), from besant nagar beach! Well, there still arent any anklets on my feet!

So here we have this foreign woman, a decently sized maroon circle posing in between her eyebrows, her BLONDE hair neatly pulled back in a long plait (perhaps the hair was oiled too!) and adorned with atleast one mozham of malligapoo, wearing a purple/pink salwar kameez, like she was born in it (!!), BOTH her ankles circled by velli golusu (silver anklets), with not as many chalangu as my childhood noise-makers, but enough to be heard, and a genuine, belonging smile on her face, riding a bicycle in the crowded streets of Mylapore Tank. Was she more Tamizh than me? She was Tamizh enough to earn the smiles of those who wouldn't really care too much with others. And what do we do? We complain about the crowded streets of mylapore tank, and the cows in the middle of the road, and consequently, their shaani (!) and avoid going there unless we HAVE to buy Kolu Bommai, or eat in Saravanabhavan! :)

Well, not all foreign women give me this feeling of lost heritage. There was once I had to walk out of Naidu Hall, in Tnagar, for the fear of laughing out loud at a bunch of american women, and their Indian chaperone, dressed in spagetti strap tops, and skirts, their pony tails circled with endless concentric circles of maligapoo, their feet lost in a sea of green Pothys polythene covers, deep in conversation with the saleswoman, with momentary interruptions from the indian chaperone, about what colour petticoat would best suit each saree they had bought, as 2 very exhausted looking american men, dressed in shorts, carrying huge bag-packs, sulked behind them! My mother was decent enough to smile, and continue her shopping :)

Amma and I sat down opposite another Maami and her daughter, at the aforementioned, eternally crowded, Saravanabhavan today. The next table, had a bunch of foreigners, with a very weirdly accented english, deep in conversation in their native language. The Tamizh waiter took their order, and the conversation sounded something like this -

(M - foreigner man, W- Waiter)

W - Orrder sir?
M - Yus. I want an Eppel Zuice (apple juice).
W - Aapil juice ah sir?
M - Yus yus. And a Tho-maa-tho Zuice? (Tomato juice)
W - One to-mae-to juice, ok...

Blah. The rest of the order was drowned in the din. A few minutes later, the foreigners at the next table were happily eating what we call "meals", with rice, and sambar, and the things that actually taste good at saravanabhavan. I smiled. I looked across the table, and realised that the tamizh girl sitting infront of me had ordered a Pizza! and her maami-mother, some Chaat item! Why? AND, she dropped a fork, and made all the foreigners look her way! Aah, i continued to savour my sambar vadai! :)

And thus, we girls become what college guys today call Peter (with stress on the r. More like Petrr). Also, Scene, or better, Vethu scene. Shed your pottu, maligapoo, golusu, and the likes, and speak english, and you have a direct ticket into peter-land! All are welcome ;) Sometimes, the criteria differ, thus, for further information on peters and their characterisitics, feel free to intreact with my dear cousin,visu, who presently likes to call himself Vishwa, for mysterious reasons! Peter, perhaps? :D

Of course i have to add that it is the Tamizh Ratham, and mentality that counts more than all the articles of show! ;) I don't need articles to yell out my tamizhness, do I? Sheesh, Captain Vijaykanth would be proud of me!

Yours "Tamizho Tamizh"ly,
Signing off!

25 comments:

Maximum Inc. said...

Theres some wannabes I know here. Theres the Indian American, but before that theres a Gujju-American and a Thamizh_American- and these people can be very annoying. They TRY to put on an accent that I think gives out very bad gabbu, and try and not do things that theyve been doing all these yrs. One other guy has Americanized his name( I had a dude tell me on Aavaniavittam that it's a waste of time and tht I shouldnt be doing it)..Dont worry. You're highly Indian and very highly thamizh.

And with the moonu mozham pathu- can translate to 3 yards for 10 bucks :D

and nee Peter illa, nee Mary

Div said...

deepak - Avaniavattam. The word's dripping with tamizh ;) Well Avaniavattam and Gayathri Jabbam were the 2 days where we girls were off from school, and didn't have to do anything at all at home! Unlike varalakshmi nombu and krishna jayanthi and the likes! So, i always liked it ;)

Mzham = Yard? Really? I shall confirm with someone. Amma just told me its "hand-measure"! Lol...

I don't like the whole Mary concept. And anyway, Peter's still more widely used, more for girls than for guys! Girls seem to be naturally peter!

Nikhil said...

Me! Me! Me! I like mullapoovu too! Very much! I like, I like!
Amma looks so pretty when she wears them, but it is impossible to get her bothered enough to actually do it.

Hrrrmph. Women.


Oh, and I like sphagetti strap tops too.
And skirts. The shorter, the better.
But only on women with long, elegant legs.


Really nice post, Divs! :-)

Div said...

Nik - How be the exams?!

Were u serious abt the liking mullapoo part? *confused* sarcasm, sigh!

These people's skirts were pretty long nik ;) Not too much to your liking! ;) Only the guys wore the shorts :D

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

lol, there were times when i used to ride the cycle wearing jeans and a top and find foreigners wearing salwar only to re-assure myself by saying, heck they aren't wearing their native clothes either!!and at one point of time when i was in 1st std. or something i took out all of my bangles and wore them cus lav had more jewellery than i did or something :P and mallipoo doesn't smell good and the dried up ones smell worse. and i agree.. mallipoo,golsu,pottu and all are only stereotypes associated with tamizhians. i'm still tamizh, and proud of it :D

Maximum Inc. said...

Theres this one dude tht ACTUALLY thinks Madras doesnt deserved to be called a Metro coz we dont speak Hindi there....Me too..proud thamizhan...

And with aavani avittam and japam..(plz, no Jabbbbam here :D)..tht was one of those innumerable holidays for Amma to make that proper Iyengar thaligai...enjoyed half these things just for the food

Anonymous said...

@div.. just because u come up with a post like this and keep saying that girls are called as peters naturally, it doesnt make the thing unrealistic or non-existent! And just because they like malliga poo and sport them once in a while, doesnt mean they arent peter! and if u shed ur pottu, poo n make yourself look modern it doesnt become non-peter!
its like ur *feeling*!!!
when u talk to someone, u can immediately find out whether they are peter or not! so it is something that can be felt immediately!! lol
You know its like enjoying vijayakanth movies at home and going and boasting to friends saying ' i watch only english movies ya!'!!! lol... and avaniavattam doesnt drip tamil at all! its immersed in sanskrit! :)

Anonymous said...

and abt my name, u should go and ask srinivethan who christened that name. and i have no idea how it spread to the others!! so there is no peter in this. i m just striving to get it uniform. for i shouldn just walk away when someone calls me with someother name!! :P
as the number of names i have is increasing by the day, i need to find out a strategy to get it uniform!! lol :P

Nikhil said...

Obviously I was not being sarcastic. What gave you that impression?
Your sarcasm-radar is way off this time, Divs. Time for some maintenance work.
*prescribes House*

And with so much Thamizh pride going around, I thought I'd say it as well :
I am proud of being a Malayali !! :-)
LOL

And also, I do think that the pottu, kolusu, and mullapoovu tend to be common features among South Indian (Hindu) communities. Maybe even among a few North Indian ones as well.
But each region has its own characteristic spin on these things, so I guess you are right.

I mean, I can totally tell a hot Thelungu girl from a hot Kannidiga one, or a hot Malayali chick from a hot Thamizh chick.
Yeah, it's like my special gift.


Naah, who am I kidding ?!

I mean, why bother about the region of manufacture when the final result is a visual delight, right?

I mean, I wouldn't care if Apple made their things in Mozambique or Montana.
As long as the curves were all there, and the UI was ..
Ok, I'll stop now.



Oooh, curves.

Div said...

Wooo hooo! Do i love my blog or wat? Loving the comments!

Suk - 'They arent wearing their native clothes either' made me laugh! But what are their native clothes? skirts? jeans? Lol.

I think all your life, Lav is going to have more jewellery than you have! Just look at her ;)

Anonymous said...

Ok! So here comes ur 'tamizh' girl's comment! I live in Besant nagar, pretty close to Kalakshetra colony.. So the sights that you mentioned about foreigners in your post have been quite common in my locality for a very long time. The only difference is that foreigners here wear dance clothes, with a tight bun (blonde!) on their head with malliga poo around it. The bigred pottu, golusu, bangles.. they're all there!

I would like to point out one probable reason to why people in madras (oh! For me chennai is always good old madras.. like it that wasy) have become 'peters' in vishwa's language.. Fascination to what is not ours.. that explains why we have so many foreigners dressing up like us while we're going all western!

I always enjoy reading your blog and I keep saying that often.. your posts have a lot of humor with some food for thought wound around it! But this has been the best I ve ever read! :) keep writing! :)

Div said...

deepak - In tamizh, pa and ba happen to be the same ;) And people around always said Jabam, and not jappam, so well... :) We're not so 'into' the details! And food, is always the main thing!

Div said...

vishwa - See! This is exactly why i told my readers to contact you for further clarification on the peter topic! And i did NOT say that we girls become non-peter just cuz i wrote this post! ;) What is, remains. Thripthi aah? :D Avaniavattam may be sanskrit, as a word, but to me, it is the symbol of tamizh brahminism, and thusly, drips with tamizh ;) Lol to the whole vijaykanth movie watching theory! Hehe...

and abt your name(s), how the hell do u plan to 'uniform' so many of thems? Imposs. Be happy u were worthy of so many! Thats all! Any latest additions at GS? :D

Div said...

Nik - U're right, i better get back to house mode! But with people who're good with sarcasm, its always a li'l difficult to make out the stuff in writing! If u didn't notice, i just gave u a compliment there ;) In any case, i should get back to house!

You're right, the pottu, poo, kolusus are common to hindus i think! Of course, the malayalis also have the white saree with gold border, and the sandhanam on top of the pottu ;)

We understood the whole 'visual delight' part before you brought in Apple, thankyou very much :D

Lol. the curves. What were u thinking? ;)

Div said...

sementi - glad u could comment! :) Aah i've seen the ones in the dance clothes too! Even more cultured ;) sementi, i believe that 'peter' goes way beyond the dressing style! (of course, one can always clarifications from vishwa!). He'll probabyl have more to say - its the way you talk, and what you say, and how you say it, or some blah :P Lol...

Abt the blog, thanks! Its been a very long time since i got into blogging mode with the light hearted posts where i can crap! I'm glad its happening again after long :) Keep visiting!

Nikhil said...

I was thinking of my iPod.

Why? What did you think?
Che, what a dirty mind you have, Divya ;-)
LOL

Actually, I always thought women with curves were more attractive. In fact, to me, they are.
But then I realised the whole waif-ish look is not so bad either. I mean, Maria Sharapova, Kate Moss, Deepika Padukone, and the most luminous one of them all, the late Audrey Hepburn.

So, yeah, whether lusciously curvy or stylishly waif-ish, as long as they are women, and gorgeous to boot, I love 'em all !!

But I prefer curvy.
That's why I said,

Oooh, curves.

:-)

Nikhil said...

And oh, *thank you* for the compliment, Divsieee !!
Impossibly nice, as always !!
:-)

Anonymous said...

yeah whatever the so called "peter" girls wear :Pand yeah that's true she is and am not repenting. gives me yet another thing to tease her about :P

Anonymous said...

@divs... there is a guy who calls me vishwan!!!!

Div said...

Nik - Yeah Yeah, I'M the one with dirty mind ;) Lol... My God, look at your knowledge on the topic! Plenty of examples there! you know your stuff ;) You deserve an award :D

Me. Impossibly nice? Ask around, i can be unfairly evil too! :\

Div said...

suk - tease tease. I shall join in!

Vishwa - oh my God!

Vinod Ramamoorthy said...

Udal mannukku uyir tamizhukku , idhai urakka cholvom ullagukku :)

That s the way we have been brought I guess. The dont talk to strangers, dont smile at them mode. Good in a way. Bad in other.

The world has turned around I guess. With the amkarikans and rousis taking it to anklets, mallikaipoo, noserings and yogas. We are shedding them and some clothes too.

Vinod Ramamoorthy said...

And please .. Lets not mistake the oily haired, pinnified girls wearing jeans as "western" or peter ... puhleaaase...

Suchi said...

The thing about 'petering' or 'marying' is that there's always a thin line between being comfortable in wearing/speaking/being all that and wanting to be so. Trust me, I see a lot of people from my part of the world, who are way more comfortable in salwar kameezes with pinned up dupattas, try to wear clothes that really don't suit their frame coz they want to look hep. Or that 'peter' english that makes you want to reply to them in the chastest tamizh. But then wearing certain clothes or behaving in a certain way does not make you 'peter'. It is what you think!

On a side note, it is a long time since I saw a twenty something girl wear a saree as if it belonged to her, if you know what I mean. Most of them time, it is like a doll dressed up, and she is so self conscious, pulling it here and there, finally glad to tear it away and get back into those pajamas at the end of the day!!

Div said...

vinod - Yeah we remember that like from iruvar too ;)


I did forget to mention the yoga bit!

suchi - Its true. Yet another definition of peter ;) And of course, eventually, everything's the way you look at it!

Abt the saree bit. I come under that category of pulling here and there, and finally sighing a sigh of relief after getting it off! We havev't made it habitual... sarees scare me sometimes! I remember one of my friends telling me on her engagement day, dressed in a pattu saree, that she feels like she's in a fancy dress competition! ;) Well, i still have to learn to put one on! :\