Friday, December 02, 2005

Shall we dance?

I don't know why i've been starting my recent posts with the same line...just one more time - Another exam postponed... Am sure this is isn't getting us anywhere! And...my exam was s'posed to be tomorrow...which means i'd studied quite a bit! Couldn't they have anounced the postponement yesterday... anywayz, STOP.

Well...this post is titled 'shall we dance?' I don't think am writing a movie review...i watched that movie only for Richard Gere. Man...what charm, what charisma... Anywayz... this post is about an incident i found extremely laughhable...but at the same time, it was an 'experience'!

My cousin, who runs a very successful software business, was holding a get-together/party/whatever to celebrate his 10th wedding anniversary. I thought the party was going to be at their house...and was planning to skive cuz i had to study... (actually i had enough time, but they stay too far away, and i wasn't too interested). But when my cousin's wife called me up, and said the party was at 'the rain-tree hotel'... i really couldn't say no... because that places look awesome from the outside, n is 2 mins from my house by walk!

So we were all there on time, actually the first people to arrive. He'd made it a family cum friends party. So the first hour passed... And the food...was super cool. Its always cool when you're not paying for it! And i was sitting like a good girl with all my 'family' folks... aunts and uncles...i was the 'representative' for my family,cuz neither my mom, nor my dad is here. SO we were having small talk after dinner...and suddenly someone grabbed the mic and said 'the dance floor's open to anyone who wishes to have some fun'. The music started...

I wasn't too surprised when people just screamed and shouted and started dancing right away... but i was DEFINITELY not going to be among them. My 7 year old nephew (cousin's son) made a whole scene by pulling my hand in an attempt to drag me to dance... n when it didn't work, he pulled my dupatta! Now that... was something that didn't look to good... cuz my dupatta pulled my hair 'band' out...which left my hair lose, and i had a very strong feeling i looked like a hulligan in a mess...well, he gave up on me... n i just sat down again and was just watching people dance. There were these 2 particular guys (both in black) who were really VIGOROUS dancers...they reminded me of nilesh. More particularly, Nilesh in black! (anyone wud remember that 3/4th sleeve black, slightly shiny t-shirt he used to wear...) Then, one of my other cousins, who had just come from work, got her dinner and sat next to me. So we were kinda catching up...and suddenly, I heard this voice saying 'excuse me'...and i looked up. It was one of the guys in black...

'Will you dance with me?' Oh my... those words i was dreading! He had both his hands out-stretched and it looked funny (was he beggin for alms..?)... i definitely DID NOT want to do this... so i said 'No, please...' and he was like 'please, just for sometime...please'. I had my mind set... i was not going to do this...NO WAY! And then it started from behind... my cousins, my aunts, uncles, everyone... 'hey just go dance for sometime, wats the big deal?' My mind was
screaming NOOOOO...i was literally pushed off my chair by one of my cousins...and i guess those out-stretched hands just caught hold of mine, and thats how i got to the dance floor!

After that... the whole world was a hurricane... i just remember that the black-tshirt guy kept twriling me round and round and round...and kept making me twirl him...It was in that moment that i realised that when you're dancing, truly, its enough if one out of the pair actually knew what had to be done...and how to do it. i couldn't even hear the music cuz my head was spinning like crazy...I was so unbalanced, and fazed, and in such a 'life's a one big circle'situation that i needed to HOLD on to something...and... the guy always had his palms open and ready! Gawd...after sometime i started to think it was an old trick! If u understand what i mean...

I finally BROKE out of the twirls... and said 'thankyou very much' and walked away (in my mind, i was running as fast as my legs could carry me!)...HUFF, over. I sat down...my head still spinning. sat there watching for sometime...laughing at those who were holding glasses in heir hands and trying not to pour the alcoholic contents while they 'danced'. It was amusing... i got
bored of watching drunk people dance...and eventually, told my cousin i was leaving...i was walking out of the door...and the black t-shirt guy just appeared out of thin air and said 'thankyou' and shook my hand...I just smiled...weakly...cuz even the sight of him was making my head spin! Heavens...

I then walked up to the roof top of the hotel... which looks beautiful from my terrace...so i really wanted to see it. And... it was one of the most beautiful restaurants i'd ever seen... and i came back home... long evening, dirty dancing!

Points to be noted :

a) The guy was six rounds into his drinking... so he was probably half drunk.
b)Mr.Black T was married.
c)We weren't waltzing...(GAWD, one of my friends just assumed we were having a slow romantic dance...arrgghh)...indeed the songs were kajrare, dhoom,kohi kahe...
c)He danced with ALL the aunties and paatis in the room before asking me and my cousin to dance... and my cousin, after my feedback, told him she wouldn't allow herself to get twirled...and just danced with him WITHOUT holding his hands... GAWD.

(btw... i knew the guy was 6 rounds into drinking...cuz my uncle came and told
us a minute after he'd taken my aunt on the roller coaster ride...n my unc din
look too happy!;-) )

bottom line....Dancing's not my cup of tea...but it'd probably be more fun if i was dancing with the right person ;-) n not getting twirled so much....!!!Life's one big circle.... seriously.

One last thing...today is SHRUTI's birthday...vm. So shruti, HAPPY
BIRTHDAY...may u live to blow 1001 candles...have a blast!!! And this msg... is
from all of us.

Signing off...

9 comments:

legspace said...

exactly!!!the rain is a big pain!!

tsb said...

You danced with another person?! :mad:
I thought you were a "good girl"?!!
thats it...i m going dancing with other vellai-figures here now :mad:







jk :P

oh...and happy birthday shruti!

Div said...

Ms legspace...the rain's becoming a bigger pain everyday! And we...mortals, are enslaved by the unpredictability of the weather..damn.

tsb - angry joke huh?;-)thanx for leaving the comment anywayz... and...u cud have said u're goin dancing wih the brown figures in vellai land...! That wud have made an impact! LOL....

Nikhil said...

Oh come on Divs, it was just a dance

:-)

Div said...

right nik... but u shud have been in that situation! its embarassing...!!

Anonymous said...

div m sure u enjoyed dnt simply lie i know u wished u a could have a repeat telecast

Div said...

nj...thanx di, that helped! Sure a, waiting for a repeat telecast! This time i'll allow u to watch me... ;) n...i'll make sure he second black t-shirt guy gets hold of u! GAWD!

tsb said...

will this post be noticed this time?
:P

Div said...

Its been noticed a little late... but noticed all the same! HA!