Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Vegetarian turns herbivore

First things first.

To the sweetest and most patient woman i know....my paati HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! May you live to blow 1001 candles, and make more kothamalli thogayal (or however its spelt! any spelling suggestions are welcome!), thenga thogayal, arachu vitta sambar and lovely (perungaayam thookal, puli jaasthi) Rasam for me! And may we have more endless discussions on how the urlai (potato) curry could have been roasted more, and how potatoes are getting sweeter by the day :D, and how i refuse to drink milk every night, and how good its supposed to be for my health! Love you!

I had a typical herbivore experience today. My grandmother approched me with something that looked like a petal-less flower in her hand...something she claimed was a lotus a minute before she brought it to me in that poor state of stamen, stigma and stalk! She very skillfully removed a seed-like structure from the centre of the soft, spotted, bulk of the remains of the lotus...and spread her palm out to me...after seeing the questioning look on my face, she said "saapdu ma!"(eat it!) Well, see...am not really used to eating stuff like this :D But i didn't want to refuse to anything on her b'day....and besides, she said its supposed to be good for health, and half of me was curious to see how it felt like to eat a hidden portion of a flower!! So... prayin that nothing happens, i put it in my mouth....and i realised that there couldn't be anything else in the world that would suit the meaning of the word 'tasteless' better! Ignorant as i was, i asked her if i could eat the other parts of the remains... and she gave me a half-frown, half-laugh and said NO! So i started extracting those seed-like un-opened petals... and it was a deligthful experience. We divided the 12-15 seeds between us and ate them...! Maybe that was my grandmom's way of giving me a treat for her birthday! ;-) aww what a royal treat! Ha... vegetarian turns herbivore!

I've heard of people eating rose petals... but lotus un-opened petals that look like seeds?And are hidden in some interior and cannot be found without prior knowledge of their existence?!

I have 2 more papers to go. All till all now have been so miserably pathetic... :(

Am goin crazier everyday... today i called my comb an ass cuz it toppled out of my hand and almost fell inside the toilet! I've started talking even to combs! and i thought it was limited to my football... *sigh*

Yours "exams suck"ly
(actually, that sounds really bad when read aloud...lol)

Signing off....

16 comments:

Julius Dhandapwni said...

First of all, wish ur grandma a very Happy B'day from me!!

"...was a lotus a minute before she brought it to me in that poor state of stamen, stigma and stalk!"

I think the exams are going into your head! Chill!! If you wanna pass without studying, then read my latest post!

And the spellings seem perfect to me!

tribanga said...

Happy Bday Paati!!!

hehe..divs when you described all the wonderful food that your grandma makes..my mouth started watering!!! you must learn how to and make all this for me when i come di!! :D
i would love to have convos about urlai and etc too! ;)

Anonymous said...

happy b'day divya's patti..
i don't know what to write.

Div said...

ignoramus - Its not the exams ;-) i dont have any botany this semester! And not anytime in my course...just some 12th std influence :D I shall check out your post, but i guess there's no use now... u're tellin me how to do it after am sure am flunkin 5 papers n have just one to go!
Nice to know my spelling has been agreed with!

anu - will try to learn di! But son expect it to be as good as paati's! Maybe u shud just come home n i'll tell her to make it :D And sure we cud discuss urlai! That i can def make... :D

Suk - LOL!

Julius Dhandapwni said...

Ya but u still got 1 left! And dozens more in da future!
*Satisfactory facts*

So u can make use of em! ;-B

Div said...

did u have to make that point mr.ignoramus! arghhhhh... its ok, will accept the fact gracefully!

Anonymous said...

Belated happy b'day patti :)
u cud'nt hav asked for a better treat na , n looks like u r really takng up devs traits (herbivore :))
- any influence from the cows we saw hogging that day in coll. loll n xams i thnk it'll be better - ki hum bas kuch na kahe ;) , as u say "our haal is like bitter daal" lolll

Nikhil said...

Oh, Happy Birthday to your grandmother (I'm guessing that's what paati means) !
This is the 2nd comment from my mobile phone, haha! Yes, I can update my blog from this. Can also read, send email, chat, you know, the works. Takes (a lot) more time though :(
Your exams end on 3rd?
And they banned DVCode in TN?
:mad:

tribanga said...

they banned DVCode aa?? i thought it released...what happ?
i am gonna watch it here so that i dont miss it!hope it is playing there..

Div said...

sand - Believe it or not, i knew your comment wud have something to do with those cows hogging the meagre grass so sumptously! Lol...i actually thot abt it after posting...and well, i guess the haal like bitter daal is just for one more day :D

Nik - aww...yes, paati means grandmom! I shud have mentioned it...n its still cool that u can do all this stuff from your phone, even though it takes time. So update! my exams end on 3rd...yes...and hell, TN has to be the black sheep! DVC got released everywhere else...bloody hell! Someone actually suggested i make a trip to hyd to watch the movie! Cha...heights of respecting 'minority' socity's feelings!

Anu - ya di... u better watch it before u come... all u'll get here is some low quality, hazy cd in which tom hanks' face'll just look more grained, n maybe his long hair will end up lookin like einstein's... :D
Ok, am exaggerating!! the quality wont be so bad... but watever happened to watchin movies in the theatre... :(

tribanga said...

HAHA...your CD description was worth the exaggeration...hehehe..yeah and probably the sound wont be good so you will have to say the dialouge while referring the book (!!) yourself while the people on the screen move their mouths?? ;)
haha..now thats a funny thought :D

Div said...

anu - LOL! or maybe we shud learn lip readin?;-)

tsb said...

customary post.

happy bday, patti :D

there...i've done enough now to deserve a filter kaapi from her :p

Div said...

tsb - oho apdiya! pakalaam...will ask her if shez willin to make filter kaapi for some toronto people :D

Nikhil said...

I watched DVCode. Not all that good. Jus OK.
Updated my blog!

Anonymous said...

ya nik i watched it too... agree with u. Could have been so muich better.... maybe u were right. Maybe Ron Howard was indeed the first mistake!

will check thy blog