Friday, October 06, 2006

Universal language indeed...

UPDATE 8.10.06 - Happy birthday, Reks!!!!!!!!!! Hope u liked the gift :) we had alot of fun making it... and we all felt like keeping it for ourselves! Have a great day! And a wonderful year to come... well, considering u sit next to me in class, u'll definitely have a wonderful year to come! ;-)

Sometimes we rediscover songs. I read somwhere that the mark of a good book is that it changes evertime you read it. I believe in that line. Not only for books, but some movies too. Maybe it applies to songs too? You suddenly realise the beauty of a word or a note or the way a certain part has been sung or the instruments...something. And when that happens to me, rekha, who sits next to me in class, has to put up with me singing the song all day long, atleast for 3 days. Sorry reks! But recently, i have started to rediscover the voice of someone whose been around for long...i've heard him so many times, but something changed somwhere, and some of his songs became an addiction a while back. Srinivas. Blessed with a voice that has moved me to tears. His songs that i happened to 'rediscover'include

  • Chotta Chotta nanaiyidu Tajmahal (movie Tajmahal, A.R.Rahman) - if you havent heard it, pl do. And if u've always thought the song sucked because of the 2 people in the video, then you are mistaken for sure! Its lovely...
  • Kayil midhakum kanava nee (movie ratchagan, A.R.Rahman) - Again, doesn't have a great video, but the song suits the context beautifully. I kept singing this song in college so
    much that my deskmate really really felt like slapping me.:) i finally stopped!
  • Anbe sugama (Movie paarthale paravasam, A.R.Rahman) - Unlike the other 2, i like this
    one's video. The lyrics..."Vazhkai oru vattam pol, mudindha idathil thudangaatha..."

Its funny how none of those movies did too well...but its Rahman we're talking about here! Genius. Seriously....and the lyrics rock...but the voice is srinivas's...its the 'feel' he imparts...God bless. He's "nila kaigirathu" on tv moved me to tears...cha.

And i have recently taken to getting mesmerised by the magic in Naresh Iyer's voice! Bloody
hell...these singers! I used to tell sandhya that i want to marry palash sen's voice (he's the lead singer of the band euphoria)...now, there's one more to the list. I want to marry Naresh iyer's voice! God bless him too!*sigh*. His 'munbe vaa' from the recent flick "sillunu oru kadhal"(which btw was so bad, i can't find any reason surya n jo agreed to do that movie except that it'd give them a reason to be with each other!) and all his rang de basanti songs...Tu bin bataye, robaroo...awesome voice. And...there are times when i get into this spree of listening to dabankoothu type songs...with fast beats...and the new song that goes into that list, is 'kummi adi' from sillunu oru kadhal,in naresh iyer's voice! Very jumpy number... :D Not exactly dabankoothu, but jumpy!

Well...just a small list of songs that make me feel the same thing whenever i listen to
them, no matter what the mood is...

  • Always makes me happy - Vizhiganil ariginil vaanam (azhagiya theeye),Drops of jupiter(train)
  • Always calms me down - Vellai pookal (Kannathil muthamitaal)
  • Makes me smile - Le chale (My brother nikhil),Nenjodu Kalainthidu (Kadhal Kondein)
  • Makes me feel floaty - aqueous transmission (Incubus), I'm ready (bryan adams)
  • Makes me marvel at the feeling people call 'love' - Tu bin bataye (RDB), Ab na ja(euphoria)
  • Makes me nostalgic - Yaaron (KK), My sacrifice (creed)]
  • Gives me hope - Bridge over troubled waters (Simon and Garfunkel)
  • Makes me feel all dark - November rain (Guns and roses)
  • Makes me want to fall in love ;-) - I'll always be right there (Bryan adams)
  • Makes me one with nature - Nila Kaigirathu (indra)
  • Makes me jumpy - I'll be there for you (Rembrandts), Dus bahane (Dus), maahive(faakhir)
  • Makes me cry - Thenpandi cheemayile (Nayagan)and any other song that suits my state of mind!

Ofcourse i can never do justice to the songs i love... they cannot be all mentioned. But this post goes out to all those singers, who make it possible for us to love what we hear, and make music such an important part in our daily lives...SPB, Hariharan, Srinivas, chitra...actually, the list is endless, no use trying a mention. :)

"The most beautiful things in life cannot be said. Thats why you have music"

Yours "Music can do things to you. Things that no one can!"ly
Signing off...

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

yay!!i'm the first to comment!!
i guess i haven't really "re-discovered" any song..so no comments on that..and yeah i like srinivas and naresh iyer too..
i haven't heard the first two but nabe sugama is really nice.and i like kummi aadi too..well here's my list--
makes me happy- drops of jupiter ,roobaroo
Always calms me down- vellai pookal and yeh jo des he tera[from swades]
Makes me smile- RDB title song.
Makes me feel floaty - seasons in the sun
Makes me marvel at the feeling people call 'love'- aao na
Gives me hope - two steps behind
Makes me one with nature - again vellai pookal
Makes me feel all dark - boulevard of broken dreams and in the end.
Makes me want to fall in love ;-) - i really have no idea...maybe nila kaigirathu
Makes me jumpy - i'll be there for you,right here right now, kummi aadi,where's the party tonight
Makes me cry - anbe sivam title song,new york nagaram,luka chupi
but then there are a few songs which u just like to listen to..and they don't necessarily make you feel happy or sad or whatever..you just like to listen to it..like khalbali..or munbe va..or wonderwall

Div said...

Suk - Yay! Some comment that!! And i dont know why u ed to yay for being the first to comment, considering you're one of the very regular visitors who make this blog worthwhile! It was really nice to read your song list, and i just realised how much i let out from my list! Its endless...i also love 2 steps behind, aao na, rdb title song, lukha chupi, where's the party tonight, ANBE SIVAM! Damn...music! And some songs that i like listening to for no apparent reason...Don Maclean's american pie, unnai kandene, swaasame, hey goodbye nanba, aur ahista kiji baatein, when you say nothing at all, signore... shit, this is really getting us nowhere. Thats why i avoid doin posts on music, books or movies in general...its inexhaustible! :) and btw... u don sound like you're in 9th std... u're an equal man! U're cool :D

Shruti said...

in short, music is bliss!
music is life. :)

Div said...

shruti - short n sweet :) Yes, it most definitely is both.

Anonymous said...

:Di'm equal??thank you!!and yeah it is inexhaustible..books,movies,music..something u can talk about any time and go on and on..and yeah american pie is one of my favs. too !

Div said...

suk - :)

Anonymous said...

hey divs
long time since i commented, am sorry :( , oh i d jus like 2 mention d usual line na-"After silence,that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music" ;)
u remembr who said dis
"Music to me is the medium through which I can express everything that I feel…the happy emotions…the sad emotions…a way to express what I really think about anything. Music is also my companion throughout the times I am angry…happy or sad …its almost everything to me yaar" it s almost what we 2 feel bout music na, n u keep guessng who said dat line, sum1's voice u reely reely luv
n u knw all my fav sngs dnt even hav 2 mention dem loll, rite now it's munbe va ,manjal veyil n kya yeh pyaar hain(woh lamhe), thnk God we still geta few grt sngs even in dis period of not so gud sngs(sidey item sngs), i thnk music is dis inseparable element in our life loll

Div said...

sand - werent those palash's words?? that u put in the ppt u gave me? ok am not sure, lemme know! Or waot, i think it was bryan adams!!! Na? ok, one of them... i think its was bryan... cuz i rmbr the 'yaar' ;-) And ofcourse i rmbr your music comes next to silence in expressin the inexpressible line! :) its a beautiful one... n that song from woh lamhey is really nice... heard it now n then...n even though the sidey songs r not so good, u shud know how much we keep singing them! we're so crazy... :D

Nikhil said...

Hey Divs,
Nice post! Though I haven't heard most of the Tamil songs. And you like Drops of Jupiter too? Pity that is the only great song Train has produced!

And I want to update my blog sooo badly man, so much to whine and rave about. I just have to find the time for it. Damn.

Anyway, cheers mate!

Div said...

nik - HI! ya i like the song, the lyrics...:) yeah none of their other songs ever came up to that level... n we're all waiting for your update! how much longer??!

tsb said...

there are no songs in this world except for Rajnikanth songs.

that is all.

:)

Div said...

tsb - displayin loyalty eh?! rajnikanth doesn sing u know! ;-)

Anyway, i shall allow u to be the ardent fan of your thalaivaa... cuz i know how it feels :D Aww Mr.Depp, can u not come up with a new movie soon? :)

Anonymous said...

ur write mam, it's indeed palash sen's words ;) n now it cant be bryan adam's na ,there was a yaar at d end, it's hindi rite loll
not a bad guess n grt memory or is it because these lines belong 2 d person who's voice u wntd 2 get married 2 , loll wotevr hehe

Div said...

sand - :D yeah i still want to marry his voice! Don make it past tense! ;-)I dono how i rmbrd...lol. n i thot it cud be bryan cuz when he was in mumbai, in some interview, he kept usin 'yaar'! Or maybe i just assumed he kept usin yaar cuz of the shantaram influence! (just incase u're wonderin wat, the author of the book lived in mumbai, n in some interview he gave for indian express, he kept sayin yaaaar'lol)!! :D

Nikhil said...

And, I have updated!

Div said...

nik - couldn u have not the left the post incomlete? Finish it!

Nikhil said...

updated my blog again!!

Vinod Ramamoorthy said...

There is a song for every occassion !!

Div said...

vinod - i believe there is :) but that doesn stop me from mentioning them... :D