Tuesday, July 03, 2007

The Prejudice

I might just have been walking out of a room, but i was Heidi running down the hill screaming peterrrrrr or running up the hill screaming grandpaaaa. My every step was like the fastest run i ever ran, and coming into the tubelight light was like greeting the morning sun, from darkness to light! I hoped that every centimetre i moved was equivalent to miles away from where i was. Miles away from the briefcases. Miles away from the pass books and cheque books and money talks. Such is my aversion towards bank business! I dont exactly know WHEN those briefcases started imparting this unpleasant feeling resembling biting-one's-lower-lip-in-rage, but it doesn't matter anymore, for its been long since the unpleasant feeling turned to torment, and torment to resigning one's fate to the necessities with no other way out!

I havent been able to explain my dislike for banks! I think its quite a compliment that my grandfather considers me old enough to discuss bank matters with me, but i sit through those sessions hoping they'd end the next minute! No offence to dearest thatha, he just wants me to learn. But the minute he calls me to his room, i dread pulling out those briefcases and listening to him murmur to himself, break his head, and finally decide which bill gets which cheque, from which account! Even though i do love looking at his face in that moment of victory when the big decision has been made! *sigh* Banks, are crowded, have long queues, people at the banks dont smile, they dont help, they dont care, and are far from how they're portrayed in advertisements, the "hum hain na - ICICI" types! Maybe i still dont understand the whole system, and that may be partly because i dont want to understand them! Do you know what you're doing divya? You're running away from one of the biggest responsibilities of life! How will you manage your money in the future? I do ask myself all that once in a while...but a smiling banker has to come by for that miracle to happen, and i do, with all my heart, await the day when i wouldn't have to sulk at the prospect of visiting a bank. After all, i do believe in miracles. :)

But having said all this...i'd also like to add...that signing cheques feels pretty cool ;-) Thats about the only thing i like about the whole business! No offence to any banker, its just a personal opinion, and more correctly stated - a Prejudice! Thus, a few months back, i came to the decision that the man who decides to endanger everything in his life by marrying me, fatefully or otherwise, will have to take care of all the bank deeds ;-) That, will be a criterion for the screening test, which has a few more criteria :D Its definitely not as bad as IITJEE :D

Anyone up to an argument? Or, anyone ready to convince me to change my mind? Try me!

Yours "The SBI couches are better than Indian bank ones, but the latter has better air conditioning!" ly
Signing off.....

14 comments:

Nithya said...

Grr...I hate banks :| I hate ppl working for the banks...I wonder how every single person working in a bank manages to wear a grumpy look on his/her face

I haven't signed any cheques as yet :( makes u feel so important, doesn't it ?? :D
The waiting part, in a bank, when there is a biiiiiiiiiiig queue sucks bigtime....I should make it a point to carry a book with me, the next time I pay a visit to the bank (If it all I pay a visit to the bank)...
Thathas are wonly meant to visit banks, not peththis ;)

P.S : Lemme kno after u've found ur perfect man, who could do all these bank-related thingums for u...I would want u to help me find 'my perfect man' too ;)

cm chap said...

Ha Ha.. Lovely & funny post. True I agree signing cheque's gives u a nice feeling... But blame Electronci clearence..its taking away the pleasure.

Vinod Ramamoorthy said...

Once you are on this side of the world(err..out of ur coll) then probably you will pick it.Or should I say you have to pick it up !! And yes .. managing money is the worst part of anyone's life.

ps: Thanks for the comments in my blog. Was inspirational :) ..

Div said...

nithya - Let me find my guy first! I think thats close to impos, but its just a floaty wish ;-)And when thathas grow a li'l older, peththis have to take on responsibility!

cm-chap - welcome. And thankyou. and..LOL! electronic clearance!

Div said...

vinod - :) I really hope i pick it up! I dont think i'll have a choice though...

*smiles* at the word 'inspirational' :) glad indeed!

prajyot said...

well nice article..i do like banking..and moreimportantly i love to deal thru cheques....well it looks like professional treat..he he

Div said...

prajyot - thanks. I'm yet to start liking banking!

Anonymous said...

I don't remember banks being so bad. All I know is that nowadays all banks have ACs and cold water which will do. oh and if you hate going to banks so much, there is always online banking. and if that doesn't work out, you could always ask the bank manager to put a johnny depp/POC poster in his/her bank though it's highly unlikely that he'll agree.
and poor husband-to-be, apart from your craziness he'll have to manage bank accounts too.

Div said...

suk - Looks like u wouldn mind a free ride to the bank when u're vetti! pah! AC and cold water it seems... and a johnny depp poster in the bank? I wouldn go there even to see that!!! Maybe i shud seriously consider this online banking thing :) And ya, my husband does have to put up with ALOT of things. Poor guy.

Anonymous said...

DID i tell u i saw heidi's house in switzerland??????:D :D

Div said...

shruti - u so didnt :( Thats lovely!!! howz it?

Suchi said...

The worst part about banking is all the forms you have to fill up. You so don't know half the terms in there, and you have to put down your signature in a dozen places (and you have no inkling why)You approach one guyfor something, he shunts you to another, who wants you to fill form 11 b, with all the five annexures in order. You do it, standing with the form pressed to the wall, precariously balancing the file/purse/notebook in one hand because there is nowhere to sit. When it is done, you go to the form giver, who sends you back to person no. 1, who is busy cleaning his ears :x. Grr.

Div said...

suchitra - Yep, u dont know wat to fill in half the time! so true! And by the sound of that, looks like u don like banks either. So welcome to the club! :)

Anonymous said...

hey div not to worry u wil get tat guy if nothing else he better do this much for u ;)