Sunday, September 30, 2007

Pulling the heart's strings

I am presently addicted to apple juice. Apple juice at midnight.Nice way to start the day dont you think? :)I was hooked to Friends (the sitcom), but i guess that wore off because i didn't have more of it to watch.

I like sad songs...slow-soft-sad songs.maybe they just evoke emotion more easily in me than happy songs do...and one really sad song i've been listening to over and over again is "take my heart back" by Jeniffer Love Hewitt. I think sad songs hit one harder if they have a particular context in a movie or something...atleast for me, its like that. You know exactly why that song was sung, or the tune was played, and all the sadness in the movie just infests your mind and strikes your heart.Of course its not always like that...theres always the lyrics which you can relate to
your own life...but lately, more than the lyrics of the song, its the movie situation that has succeeded in making me sad! And then there's the tune...some tunes don't even need words to tell you its a sad one. Reminds me of the time my music teacher was teaching us this particular song in kalyanavasantham ragam, and the whole atmosphere got so gloomy and sad...not like we understood the song...just the ragam and the tune...Its like this sick feeling in your stomach,this emptiness around...like sorrow just swallowed the whole world, and there's no coming out of it. Some sort of enchantment, but a sad one. There's so much beauty in that...when something no one can understand makes each person in the room feel the same thing. I guess that's what they call the language of music :D


I haven't been able to come out of my BGM craze, or my awe for Mani rathnam (if you scroll down, you'll notice my previous post had alot to do with both!). This time, the movie is Thalapathi. I was totally bowled over by the balance of each element in the movie...quite neatly done. Its like Mani Rathnam used some mathematical equation to calculate the proportion of each element, and got it all right, and beautifully. Theres the friendship, the mother-and-lost-son element, theres the right dose of romance, very aptly balanced with the rage and the helplessness coming out of that "unfulfillable" love, theres a good deal of violence (which i guess the movie needed),and there are the well placed songs composed by the maestro, illayaraja. Another thing i liked about the movie is the bond between the little girl (banupriya's daughter) and Rajnikanth.

The BGM that made me re-watch scenes this time was the violin version of the song "Sundari kannaal oru seydhi". Brilliant composition. It makes me feel like the violin is crying out...shobhana's eyes speak it all out...the yearning, the bittersweet acceptance...so its like the violin complements her eyes. And when you realise all the helplessness that's involved in that scene of lost love, its some sort of poignant beauty.

I'm not uploading the violin piece i'm talking about...partly because i think its complicated, and partly because i'm lazy. So if you'd like to listen to it, you can leave me a comment, and i'll mail it across.

And thus we indulge in music and movies, and small or big analyses of them, to help us forget the bigger things in life. To stop dwelling in things that require patience...on things that do not entirely lie at our mercy. After all, I've heard that to get out of difficulty, one must usually go through it!

Yours "This too...shall pass"ly
Signing off...

15 comments:

Suchi said...

Talking about music and how-you-drown-yourself-in-it, I can talk for hours together about the ragam Kapi. Whatever mood you are in, Kapi has this way of reflecting your mood when you listen to it! Rahman has this way with Kapi, I can think of a lot of Rahman-Kapi songs offhand.

Div said...

suchitra - Kapi is a nice ragam...i've never been too "into" it though. I'm still stuck with yamuna kalyani! But you could tell me some rahman-kapi songs! Its always nice to know which movie song is which ragam :)

Anonymous said...

a rather nice escapism method :P

Div said...

suk - was your comment for the last line of the post?

Anonymous said...

yep

Div said...

divs - ya right! bloody hell

Vinod Ramamoorthy said...

"Our sweetest songs are those
That tell us of saddest thought"

P.B. Shelly

Anonymous said...

:D

Div said...

vinod - I'll have to agree with that :)

Anonymous said...

20 days divya!! update

Div said...

i know!!! :( i have to!

Ananya said...

Divs!!! Haven't been doing much of blog-reading lately, hence the irregularity with the comments etc. Oh can I please please have the violin piece you mentioned? The violin happens to be among my favourite musical instruments? :|

Div said...

nanya - hey!!! welcome back :D Violin is my fave too :))) And hope u liked it!

Ananya said...

Hey Divs! I LOVED it! If I were not tired and sleepy right now, I'd have explained exactly why I loved it too, but shall now save that for later instead... :)

Div said...

Oh cool!!! But don forget to tell me why :)